12.15.2006

There's a word for them!

Studying for the GRE is driving me bonkers! I don't get it. The English language has billions of words, and I need to know all of them if I'm going to truly be prepared for this test. The other day I took a practice test and scored a 680. Yesterday, I took a practice test and scored a 530. It just depends on the words they test me on. Supposedly, the test is "adaptive," but if that's the case, then why is there such a difference between my two scores? I'd like present my perspective on this test during the analytical writing section!

I'm just freaking out because so much hangs in balance on this test. I need to do well on it! Going to graduate school to study English--rhetoric, literature, theory, teaching--is the only thing I want to do with my life. I would do well in graduate school and I'm nervous because my fate isn't left up to me; it's left to the admissions committee. I know I did poorly the first time around in undergraduate studies, but that's why I returned to school this semester to show my dedication and ability to make A's.

So, last night, I was looking up all the words I missed on the test. One of the words, GADFLY, is a gem!

GADFLY--figurative: an annoying person, esp. one who provokes others into action by criticism.

No comments: